How Insects Beat The Winter Freeze
Feb 15, 2018
As colder weather sets in, people of all walks of life are preparing to hunker down for the winter. Home’s get additional insulation, jackets replace swimsuits, and insects all but disappear. Yet just because you can’t see them, doesn’t mean they are not there and causing damage. Here’s what common pests do to survive the winter, and how pest control in Garden Ridge, TX, can help get rid of them.
The Three Ways Insects Survive The Winter
Insects, though creepy and unsanitary, are fascinating; particularly regarding how many of them make it through the winter to rise again in spring. Bugs are able to do this in one of three ways, which are:
- Migration – Moving to a warmer climate, such as Monarch Butterflies
- Hibernation – Digging into the ground to ride out the cold in a state of suspended animation.
- Life As Usual – They either move into warmer areas (such as a toasty warm home) or carry on as if nothing happened.
How Common Texas Bugs Cope
Despite being warmer than the majority of the United States, Texas’s insects still must make adjustments to the cooler winter months. The five most common insects survive through the winter in a number of ways.
- Mosquitoes – Carry on as normal with reduced numbers.
- Flies – Adult’s hunker down, eggs and pupae wait until warmer weather to emerge.
- Spiders – Hibernate in out of the way spaces, including in or under the home.
- Roaches – Unaffected by colder weather, and more likely to move into warmer homes in the winter.
Winter Pest Control In Garden Ridge, TX
Insects need three things to survive in the winter: shelter, food, and water. The key to keeping them out of your home is to remove access to either or all of these. Inspect your home’s foundation, walls, windows, and doorways for cracks or holes that would allow bugs in. Keep food put away and practice good housekeeping to prevent them from finding easy meals.
If you find that you are playing unwilling host to a family of insects, pest control services, such as those at Family Pest Control in San Antonio, can help remove them and prevent them from coming back.
To learn more about winter pest control in Garden Ridge, TX or to request a free estimate, please contact Family Pest Control today.